...when life seems dark, stinky and unfair

Friday, August 12, 2011

Pain

"[Pain] removes the veil; it plants the flag of truth within the fortress of a rebel soul."

~ "The Problem of Pain" by CS Lewis

Someone recently said to me that we only grow through pain and difficulty.  Sadly, I have to agree with this comment especially since I have been particularly uninspired lately and shockingly haven't had too many challenges.  At first I thought that I had just gotten a handle on things but I've slowly come to realize that I was just ignoring the problems.  Hunkering down into my little world, away from trouble, responsibility, and accountability.  Now, while this lack of difficulty doesn't immediately seem like a negative I do see how it could become a problem...staying in this "little box of boring" as my best friend would say.  How can we grow if we do not challenge ourselves?  How can we move forward, improve, understand better if we never face conflict, hardship or pain?

Photo via me :)

I often wish that I could don rose colored glasses day after day, only seeing the beauty and joy in the world and avoiding the darkness, doubt and insecurity.  But pain reminds us of our shortcomings, inabilities and our need for God.  Often like the pain from an intense workout, lifting, stretching, pulling and tearing our muscles so that they can repair themselves and grow stronger.  This is how I see pain.  It can often seem like a never ending tunnel, an uphill trek or endless swim, but it does come to an end, eventually.  And when I resurface from the deep or reach the top of the hill I feel renewed and strengthened, ready to face the next battle, even beginning to welcome it.  Christ walked the long road with us, bearing not only the burden of our sins but also the knowledge of the pain he was about to endure....being nailed to the cross.  But he endured it nonetheless, welcomed it, because he knew it would bring about victory.  Why then should I hide from the pain?  Why then should I not embrace it, bear down and endure it?  I will let it shove me to my knees so that I may look up to God to pull me up.  And I will even more rejoice in the joys and happiness of this life and learn from the trials and tribulations because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...